It Ends

It seems like the beginning of this academic year wasn’t actually that long ago, but here we are at the finish line. May Day is on Sunday (fingers crossed that my dress is done at the tailor in time!), and then it’s finals and the real end of my undergraduate career. More importantly, it’s the end of my time at Bryn Mawr College. I found myself here, even though I didn’t really think I was still looking. The people I’ve met in the last two years will stay with me forever- and I know people say that all the time, and it doesn’t actually stay true, but I think this one will stick.

I handed in my thesis on Monday morning, and around 5:00 all of the English majors gathered in English House for champagne and cake. It was beautiful- Bryn made bunting with all of our names, and napkins that said “ENG399” with a checked-off box. It felt final, in the best possible way. I was glad I could celebrate with everyone in the department.

11159525_10152660666107030_4722486327661133875_n 10985454_708562465936917_4152837214240639025_n

The first picture is me handing in my thesis- but not really. I’d handed it in around 9:00 AM, but no one was nearby to take pictures and celebrate with, so I grabbed the bound copy from my adviser’s mailbox and staged a re-do. It was worth it, because I got to send the picture to my parents and get lots of “whoohoo!” messages in return. The second picture is of the English seniors and faculty, yelling “yay!” and holding champagne. We all look tired and happy and a little bit delirious, but maybe that’s a good look? I’m really proud of everyone. It still doesn’t feel real.

So, this might be my final entry. I don’t think it will- I still have two more weeks on campus, and I want to post May Day pictures, but just in case that doesn’t happen, let’s revisit my resolutions.

• Continue on this trend of going to Bikram (almost) every day.
  • Keep my calendars updated.
  • Actually make plans with friends. And keep those plans.
  • Read and respond to every e-mail.
  • Bring Wilson to campus.
  • Remember to drink enough water.
  • THESIS.

I still haven’t brought Wilson to campus, but there’s time. Finals week is an excellent excuse to bring animals to the green. You may remember, I broke my ankle during Hell Week, so yoga was out for a while. I’m in physical therapy, and starting to walk again at my old pace, but I’m still not cleared for yoga- my balance is still a little wonky, and I don’t want to do anything that might re-injure it. Otherwise, I think I did okay! I set realistic goals, and I stuck to them- even though, this semester, I became a bit of an antisocial thesis hermit. I’m around this summer, and would love to try again in the making plans department, so if you find yourself in Bryn Mawr or Philly, get in touch!

Happy end of the semester, everyone!