Lantern Night!

It feels weird sometimes that I’ve gone from being a first-year to a senior. I’ve skipped over the sophomore slump, but at the same time, I feel like I’m feeling those feels just as hard as my 2017 friends. Did I forget how to school over the summer? Yep, I sure did. Everything is harder this year, from coming up with paper topics to getting out of bed. Sure, some of that is just senior stress, but a little of it is that whole not-a-special-first-year thing.

To reconcile these feelings with my extremely limited time at the mothership, I’ve started to just say yes to everything. Should I write this blog while I still have time? Yes. Should I go to as many events on campus as possible, even if they have literally nothing to do with my life? Yes.

Should I be a swinger at Lantern Night? Yes.

So I made my traditions mistresses aware of my desire to work my arm muscles until they twitched swinging my lantern to celebrate the Class of 2018. I don’t know many first-years, but I remember my own Lantern Night, and I wanted to be as involved as possible in making them feel the same sense of deep tradition and welcoming that I felt last year. I learned the words to Pallas Athena, even though it starts at notes I haven’t been able to hit since age 12. I stood next to one of my nearest and dearest, Miranda (Class of 2016), and I lit my dual-colored lantern with other Mawrters.

It was pretty magical, from the beautiful night sky to the complete lack of precipitation. The weather held, for what I’ve been told was the first time in four years. At Step Sing, which was significantly less full than it was on Parade Night, the McBrides enlisted the help of every class to sing our song, “Stand By Me.” We’re a small bunch anyway, but on Lantern Night, there was an especially little group. We’re pretty mighty, though, and we were yelling out those words like our lives depended on it. In all, a good night. Have any of my readers been swingers? What was your favorite part of Lantern Night?