Organization is a Skill (That I Don’t Possess)

For me, focusing (especially on the weekends) is all about the pop punk section of playlists on Songza and knowing that my planner is up-to-date. I use a paper organizer and of course, iCal. I’m not ready to put the analog down forever, so I use both. Having two planners going at all times helps me to remember to double check everything, so that I’m never really at risk of forgetting a meeting or an appointment. I do the same thing with my to-do list. I use an app called Wunderlist (which I love, because it reminds me of wanderlust, my most delightfully named affliction) on my phone and my computer, and keep running paper lists of things in my planner, notebooks, syllabi…everywhere. I write everything down.

I know that sounds all over the place, and it kind of is. I like things to happen in very particular ways, but no one in my life would ever call me organized, and I’m probably the only one who understands my methods. I promise, though, it all works. The act of writing things is helpful for getting stuff to actually stick in my sieve-like brain. Without multiple systems at work, I’d never get anything done on time.

Having the best schedule ever for my last semester at the Mothership is helping, too. I only have classes three days a week, and the remainder of the time I’m working on McBride tasks, thesis research, or really important cat cuddling. I’m loving my courses, and I’m not yet feeling like I’m going to murder my thesis topic! I just have to keep it up for another few months. (Ack.)

What helps you focus, Mawrtyrs?